Bobotie is a well-known South African dish consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping. The main ingredient used in this dish is ground meat. It is a South African dish which I very delicious in taste. In simple words, Bobotie is spiced minced meat baked with a custard topping.
So today I am going to tell you about the recipe for Bobotie and I know that after reading the steps given below you will wonder how easy and convenient it is to make Bobotie at home. I am sure that following the steps given below this recipe will give you tasty Bobotie just like the market. All you need to do is collect the ingredients which are listed below from nearby shops in the market.
Ingredients used to make Bobotie
- 2 slices of white bread
- 2 onions, chopped
- 25g of butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg of packet lean minced beef
- 2 tablespoon of Madras curry paste
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 3 cloves
- 5 allspice berries
- 2 table spoon of peach or mango chutney
- 3 table spoon of sultana
- 6 bay leaves
- For the topping
- 300ml of full-cream milk
- 2 large-sized eggs
You Can Buy From Here!
STEPS TO MAKE BOBOTIE AT HOME
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Pour some of the cold water over the bread and keep it aside to soak.
- Take a fry pan place it over the gas stove on high flame. Add some butter to it, wait till butter melts.
- Now add some chopped onions to the butter, and fry for about 10 minutes. In between stir them properly till they are soft and start changing their color.
- Now add the garlic and beef and stir well, crush the mince into fine grains till it changes color. Stir in the curry paste, herbs, spices, chutney, sultanas, and 2 of the bay leaves with 1 tsp salt and plenty of ground black pepper.
- Now cover it and cook for 10 minutes. Squeeze the bread to remove water from the bread, then beat into the meat mixture till it gets well blended.
- Tip into an oval ovenproof dish. Press the mixture well and make it smooth from the top. Prepare this mixture and keep it aside, you can also use it the next day also as it will not get spoiled.
- Now for the topping, mix the milk and eggs with some seasoning, then pour it over the meat.
- Top with some bay leaves and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes till the topping is set and starting to turn golden.
Now our delicious bobotie is prepared, serve it on a plate and enjoy eating it with your loved ones.
Hope this article was helpful to you and help you in gaining some knowledge. Comment Below and give some feedbackCheck out our cooking section by clicking Here.
Don't Forget to Share this topic with your Friends. You can just share this on Facebook,Twitter and You can also E-Mail.